Create and Sing Carmen
Welcome to Create and Sing Carmen!
Create and Sing Carmen is the Royal Opera House’s flagship learning programme based on dramatic singing. The programme will help you deliver an exciting, curriculum-based course to your primary school class. No previous experience of opera is necessary, as we provide you with the tools you will need to stage your own performance of Create and Sing Carmen. According to your preferred level of engagement, you can choose from the two-, five- and ten-lesson versions of the course below.
Create and SingCarmen Explorer
In this explorer course, introduce your class to the story of Carmen, learn songs from the opera, explore the basics of dramatic singing technique and stage a scene.
- Explorer Lesson 1: Setting The Scene
- Explorer - Lesson 2: Carmen, The Whole Story
- Explorer – Lesson 3: Carmen's Big Aria, Habanera
- Explorer - Lesson 4: Momentum And Pacing
- Explorer - Lesson 5: Putting It All Together
Create and SingCarmen Immersive
For the next 10 lessons, your students will be honorary members of the Royal Opera House’s Youth Opera Company and will create and sing their own version of the opera Carmen.
- Immersive - Lesson 1: Setting The Scene
- Immersive - Lesson 2: Carmen, The Whole Story
- Immersive - Lesson 3: The Children's Chorus
- Immersive - Lesson 4: Carmen's Big Aria
- Immersive - Lesson 5: Performance Choices
- Immersive - Lesson 6: The Rehearsal Process
- Immersive - Lesson 7: Same Song, Different Story
- Immersive - Lesson 8: Two Stories At Once
- Immersive - Lesson 9: Putting It All Together
- Immersive - Lesson 10: The Final Rehearsal And Curtain Up
Watch the Royal Opera House's Youth Opera Chorus in Carmen
Taking part in Arts Award? Create and Sing Carmen is the perfect project to use to achieve Discover ...30mins
Join teacher and vocal leader Stuart Overington as he introduces ways to warm up the voice.5mins
Carmen is a very famous opera by a French composer named Georges Bizet. It is based on a story by th...5mins
Create and Sing Carmen is generously supported by Stavros Niarchos Foundation, Mohn Westlake Foundation, Crevan O’Grady & Jane McClenahan, Teale Foundation, Gonzalo and Maria Garcia and two anonymous supporters