Immersive - Lesson 7: Working Together: The Queen of Hearts
- Means of capture
- Record of last performance
- PE kit and bare feet
- Clear empty space
- Lesson Film
- Choreographic ideas
In this lesson, you and your dancers will enter the Card Kingdom to meet the Queen of Hearts and play croquet.
- To develop movement patterns to create non-contact group work – understanding how we can make positive physical connections with peers.
- To explore the use of gestures and mime to tell stories.
- To create a unison phrase, working as a team.
- To develop collaborative skills.
- English: Persuasive writing account from a character’s perspective in the trial of ‘who ate the jam tarts?’.
- English: Write a rule book for the Queen of Heart’s court.
- PE: To master basic movements, as well as developing flexibility, strength, agility, balance and co-ordination in a range of activities. They will also become familiar with moving to music.
- PSHE: To work towards shared goals and expressing a range of feelings.
- Cookery: Creating recipes and baking jam tarts.
- British Values and History: The Monarchy throughout history.
Performance and Evaluation10 mins
Make time during every session to look at as much of the work created as possible. It’s great for the dancers to be able to see everyone’s responses to the tasks set, and it also gives you time to think about what is working and which direction you want to take the dance.
Along with the exploration of the Queen of Hearts character, you could include the action words from the Cards Warm Up and Creative Exploration (Joker, Wild Card, Trick, Fan, Stack…etc). This will give the dancers a chance to remember the movement phrases they created last lesson.
If you would like to see more examples of unison dancing, Swan Lake is another very famous ballet. Watch this video of members of The Royal Ballet corps de ballet rehearsing to see how important it is to watch and listen to each other when you dance.
The movement patterns they created could be called the ‘Croquet’ Motif and the ‘Queen of Hearts’ Unison Phrase.