First Stage - FAQs and How to Apply
What opportunities are available?
We offer work placements in many departments at the Royal Opera House.
- Arts Administration
- Ballet Music Administration
- Costume Production
- Learning and Participation
- Model Room (open to under 18s)
- Planning and Business Affairs
- Press Office – Ballet
- Press Office – Opera
- Scenic Art
- Scenic Carpentry/Metal Work
- Sound and Broadcast
- Stage Management – Ballet (open to under 18s)
- Stage Management – Opera
- Technical (Stage)
Dates and current availability of placements
Details of the work experience opportunities currently available can be found in the current listings.
Our placements are often structured around specific projects or departmental schedules therefore we cannot always predict exactly when the next placement will come up. If a placement you wish to apply for is not currently listed, you can sign up for alerts, and we will email you as soon as the placement becomes available.
Cannot find the placement you are looking for?
Unfortunately, not all departments at the ROH have the capacity to host work placements or are able to do so at the moment. We regret we cannot consider speculative requests for placements and applications for future opportunities cannot be considered before they are advertised.
• Please note that we do not offer work experience for performers.
Who can apply?
• All UK residents are welcome to apply for a work experience placement.
• Health and Safety considerations do necessitate a minimum age requirement in some areas and certain departments require a proven level of experience/skill/formal qualification. The minimum criteria for each placement are detailed in the placement listings.
• There is no upper age limit for applications. However, many of the opportunities offered would be most useful to individuals looking for a first experience of work in their chosen area.
• Unfortunately we are not able to offer work experience to non UK residents.
How do I apply?
• Please click on the vacancy you are interested in and complete the online application process.
• Applications by CV or letter alone will not be accepted.
• The closing date for applications for particular placements is specified in the list of current placements.
How long will it take for a decision to be made on my application?
Due to the volume of applications we receive, it can sometimes take a while to review them all. However, we do reply to all applicants, and you will receive an email to tell you whether you have been selected for interview or accepted for a placement as soon as possible after the closing date.
I am under 18. Can I still apply?
• For under 18s, we offer placements in the Model Room, Ballet Stage Management and our Introduction to Working in the Royal Opera House placement. These take place at specified times of the year (see listings for details). We do not offer placements to anyone under 15.
• If your application is successful we will send you a consent form for your parent/guardian/school to complete.
My child wishes to apply. Will they be safe?
• The Royal Opera House takes its responsibilities to all staff and visitors seriously and follows best practice with regard to legal health and safety requirements.
• Appropriate Health & Safety and Child Protection controls are in place and adhered to.
• No one aged under 18 will be accepted for work experience without the written consent of their parent/guardian.
Can I apply for more than one placement?
• Yes, but you must submit a separate application for each placement you are interested in.
• In the interests of equal opportunities, placements are limited to one per person. Once you have completed a work experience placement, applications from you for further placements will not be considered.
Will I be paid?
All work experience at the Royal Opera House is voluntary and unpaid. However, we will cover the following costs for the duration of your placement:
Lunch: You are entitled to lunch vouchers which can be redeemed in our staff restaurant or café in Covent Garden or at our Production Park in Purfleet.
Travel: If you are undertaking your placement at Covent Garden, we will reimburse you the cost of an Oyster Travel Card for zones 1 + 2 upon proof of purchase.
If you are undertaking a placement in our workshops in Purfleet or travelling from Purfleet to Covent Garden, we will reimburse you the cost of your travel to and from London Fenchurch Street – Purfleet for the duration of your placement, or an alternative journey to Purfleet up to the same value.
Reimbursement of travel expenses will be issued on completion of your work experience placement and only on proof of purchase.
What prior experience do I need?
• Any minimum skill or experience requirements for a placement are detailed in the placement listings.
• The number of work experience opportunities we are able to offer is inevitably limited and therefore competition is high. Placements will be offered to those applicants who are best able to prove their interest and commitment in their chosen work area.
How long will the placement be for?
• This will depend on the specific opportunity, but placements last everything from a few days to several weeks (part time).
Where would I be based?
• Most placements are based at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, although some may also be available at our Education office and Production workshops in Purfleet, Thurrock.
Where can I get more advice on backstage careers?
Please note that the Royal Opera House reserves the right to cancel or postpone the offer of a work experience placement if this is necessitated by operational requirements.