Millennium Square, Leeds
The BP Big Screens are back in 2019 with some of the world’s most popular operas and ballets broadcast live from the Royal Opera House. Make sure you put the dates in your diary and come along to one of our many free screening venues including Millennium Square, Leeds. Bring your friends and a picnic and soak up free culture on your doorstep – and get there early for the exclusive pre-performance content 30 minutes before curtain-up.
The Royal Opera | Carmen | 2 July at 7pm| pre-screening starts at 6.30pm
Bizet's greatest opera tells the story of the enigmatic and seductive Carmen and the dangerous passion she arouses in Don José. Watch The Royal Opera’s fresh take on this much-loved opera, complete with flamenco dancers, bull fighters – and a gorilla – all in a free live screening from the Royal Opera House.
The Royal Opera | The Marriage of Figaro | Tuesday 9 July at 7pm | pre-screening starts at 6.30pm
Revolution is in the air in The Royal Opera’s beautiful production of Mozart's great comic opera. Colourful characters mix with intrigue, misunderstanding and forgiveness in a multitude of dramatic twists. Watch a live screening of this famous opera from the Royal Opera House stage.
What I need to know before I attend:
The venue is fully accessible with level / sloped access from all sides following the natural topography of the ground levels.
This is a picnic style event so please bring a foldable chair or blanket to sit on. A limited number of covered grandstand seating and outdoor picnic bench style seating will be available on a first come first served basis. A licensed bar, coffee concession and toilet facilities will also be available.
- Strictly no glass will be permitted within the event enclosure
- Other items that are not permitted include (but are not restricted to); large furniture, parasols, tents, gazebos, laser pens, air horns, fireworks, flares, smoke canisters, barbeques, paper lanterns or any lighting with a naked flame
- As an outdoor event please bear in mind weather conditions can change quickly, so all concert goers should dress appropriately. Umbrellas may obstruct the view of other audience members so waterproof clothing or disposable ponchos should therefore be considered
- No illegal substances and/or any items deemed to be a potential weapon or threat to public safety are permitted. Any persons found in possession will be ejected and reported to the police
- Please note event stewards will be entitled to search all persons and/or their possessions on entry. Staff will not take any responsibility for any prohibited items
Please note, the Royal Opera House always seeks guidance regarding content from the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC). While a 12A rating is the minimum classification level issued for all live screenings in the UK, our content can still be suitable for children of all ages. Click this link for further information regarding the classification of filmed content.
How do I get there?
Millennium Square is Leeds’s premier city centre outdoor public space and live entertainment venue which is conveniently situated in Leeds City Centre, surrounded by some of the city’s most significant and iconic buildings including; Leeds Civic Hall, Leeds Town Hall, The Carriageworks Theatre and Leeds City Museum.
The square is a five minute walk from the train station, a ten minute walk from the bus station and a ten minute drive from the M1 and M62 motorways, with a variety of street and secure parking options located nearby. For further details visit millsqleeds.com/plan-your-visit